The 2022 National Boat Building Challenge is sponsored by First National Bank
Boat building begins at 11:00 a.m. and the relay race begins at 4 p.m
Teams have been comprised of professional boat builders, amateur boat builders, and mostly never-before boatbuilders. We have had brothers, brothers-in-law, spouses, father-daughter, professional colleagues, neighbors, uncle-nephew, and cousins compete. Some have finished, many have not. First Place Prize: $1,000, Second Place: $500, Third Place: $250.
The competition was a huge success in Belfast in 2007, 2008, and 2010 to 2019. It has been held in South Carolina for the past 30 years.
The challenge involves two-person teams building a 12-foot wooden skiff in under four hours, followed by a rowing relay race. Teams are judged on how quickly they complete construction, the quality of the craftsmanship and their speed on the water in the two-man relay rowing race. See how to build a boat in one minute (video).
The rules are simple:
- Teams of two compete to build a wooden boat in under 4 hours.
- Power and hand tools may be used, but not pneumatic tools.
- All materials are provided except for oars (which must be handmade, and the transom, which may be glued but not cut)
- All teams are provided with the plans ahead of time.
- Teams provide their own tools, worktables, and oars.
- At the end of 4 hours, the boats are judged on completeness and quality of craftsmanship.
- Then the builders must have enough faith in their work to get into the boat and compete in a relay race in the harbor
For the $100 entry fee, each team receives plans and building materials, a workspace and competes for first place, second place, and third place trophies and prizes. Scholarships are available.
The National Boat Building Competition will begin at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 20, 2022, at Steamboat Landing in Belfast. Judging will take place at 3:00 p.m. The race will begin at 4 p.m. at Boat House Beach
For more information write firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete the application below and click on SUBMIT. Mail the $100 entry fee payable to Belfast Rotary P.O. Box 74, Belfast, ME 04915.