The National Boatbuilding Challenge will be returning to Belfast on Aug. 14, 2021, during the Belfast Harbor Fest.
Boat building begins at 11:00 a.m. and the relay race begins at 4 p.m
Teams have been comprised of professional boat builders, amateur boat builders, and mostly never-before boatbuilders. We have had brothers, brothers-in-law, spouses, father-daughter, professional colleagues, neighbors, uncle-nephew, and cousins compete. Some have finished, many have not. First Place Prize: $500, Second Place: $300, Third Place: $200.
The competition was a huge success in Belfast in 2007, 2008, and 2010 to 2019. It has been held in South Carolina for the past 28 years.
The challenge involves two-person teams building a 12-foot wooden skiff in under four hours, followed by a rowing relay race. Teams are judged on how quickly they complete construction, the quality of the craftsmanship and their speed on the water in the two-man relay rowing race. See how to build a boat in one minute (video).
The rules are simple:
- Teams of two compete to build a wooden boat in under 4 hours.
- Power and hand tools may be used, but not pneumatic tools.
- All materials are provided except for oars (which must be handmade, and the transom, which may be glued but not cut)
- All teams are provided with the plans ahead of time.
- Teams provide their own tools, worktables, and oars.
- At the end of 4 hours, the boats are judged on completeness and quality of craftsmanship.
- Then the builders must have enough faith in their work to get into the boat and compete in a relay race in the harbor
For the $100 entry fee, each team receives plans and building materials, a workspace and competes for first place, second place, and third place trophies and prizes. Scholarships are available.
The National Boat Building Competition will begin at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 14, 2021, at Steamboat Landing in Belfast. Judging will take place at 3:00 p.m. The race will begin at 4 p.m. at Boat House Beach
For more information write firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to download the application and official rules for teams entering the August 14 Challenge: 2021 Boatbuilding Application
Complete the application and mail it to Belfast Rotary Boatbuilding Challenge, P.O. Box 74, Belfast, ME 04915; or scan and email to email@example.com.